Saturday, November 20, 2010

Attitude of Gratitude - Day 20

Today I am really thankful for my grandma (actually she's my grandma-in-law, but I don't think that really matters to her - or me!).  I have become her new "project" for sewing (you may remember the skirt she helped me make a few months ago) and now for cooking!  Mind you, it's not just regular cooking, it's Dutch cooking!  A month or so ago, she taught me how to make Hachee (and onion and potato dish with a little meat).  Today we tackled croquettes (a flour, broth, and seasoning fried dish with a little meat)!

Because all of my grandparents passed away many years ago, it's been fun hanging out with Grandma sometimes.  She makes me laugh, especially when her Dutch/English gets me lost.  Case in point - here was a conversation we had a while back.

Grandma: something, something, something.
Darlene: (in a very agreeing tone) "Uh huh."
Grandma: (with somewhat of an accusatory tone) "You were not listening to me!  That was not a 'yes or no' question!"
Darlene:  "I was too listening.  I just had no idea what you said, so I figured a 'uh huh' would be a safe answer!"
(At which point both of us began to laugh hysterically!)
Gotta Love Grandma!

1 comment:

  1. Dar! I love reading your blog! This entry especially brought a smile to my face!!

    ReplyDelete